Strange Tales of Liaozhai Hanne Tierney
Stange Tales of Liaozhai played from Sept 6 to 22 in the Mainstage.
- “It’s an engineering triumph—hundreds of threads keep the panels in motion.”
- — Helen Shaw, Time Out NY
- “Strange Tales of Liaozhai is theater that you will not see the likes of very often. The sound, lighting and design pull together to create an experience like none other.”
- — Richard Hinojosa, NYtheater
- “Strange Tales are gorgeously and uniquely crafted.”
- — Rachel Merrill Moss, Theater is Easy
About the show
Through choreography and manipulation, master puppeteer Hanne Tierney conducts an intricate counterweight system of over 100 strings, transforming a full stage of inanimate objects into the players of two emotionally charged tales.
This lush work is adapted from 18th century supernatural Chinese folk tales, compiled by the scholar Pu Songling; one is a love story and the other a tale of magic pigeons. They are revealed through two distinct mediums - Hanne Tierney's abstract puppetry and projected, hand-drawn images created by Hannah Wasileski.
These separate narratives wind in and out of each other, unfolding through movement, images, and gestures, with expressive silks, lanterns, and bamboo poles brought to life in real time.
Jane Wang’s original compositions for toy pianos, double bass and self-constructed Asian Space Plates, enrich and complement the two tales.
Conceived, constructed and performed by Hanne Tierney.
Manipulation by Shawn Lane, Jamey MacGilvray, Hanne Tierney.
Music composed and performed by Jane Wang.
Overhead projection designed by Hannah Wasileski.
Light design by Trevor Brown.
Sound Mix by Phil Soltanoff.
$10 Advance | $20 Day Of Show
Tues-Sun @ 8:30pm
Sun @ 4:00pm
Cocktails and Context: Thurs. Sept. 6 @ 7:30
Post-Show Talkback: Theater w/out Actors: Puppetry & Visual Art in Contemporary Performance: Wed. Sept. 12